Rules and forms


  • +


    Dispensations are exemptions from the rules in force at the university and can only be granted in case of extraordinary circumstances (e.g. illness).

    An application for dispensation must contain:

    • Applicant’s name and CPR-no.
    • A precise account of what is applied for
    • Reason for the application
    • Making probable that the dispensation can remedy the problem
    • Medical certificate or other documentation

    The study board cannot grant a dispensation due to lack of academic ability (e.g. that the exam was difficult or the student failed to prepare properly for the exam).

    Application deadline

    Your application for dispensation must be submitted in due time, i.e. no later than 7 work days before the study board’s next meeting.

    Below you can read more detailed about dispensations regarding 4th examination attempt and first-year exam:

    Dispensation to a 4th examination attempt

    • Explain the reasons for not having passed your 3rd examination attempt
    • Explain how you expect to pass the exam at the 4th attempt 
    • Explain how you will prepare yourself for the 4th attempt. We urge you to contact the student counsellor to make a study plan of action. The study plan must be submitted together with your application for dispensation.

    Typically, only a so-called ‘extraordinary circumstance’ will result in a dispensation. If the study board cannot grant a dispensation to the 4th examination attempt, the student cannot continue the study programme, because the student concerned has exhausted his or hers examination attempts (cf. Ministerial Order on Admission and Enrolment on Bachelor Programmes at Universities, section 31) and the student’s enrolment will be terminated 14 days after the decision has been made.

    Dispensation from first-year exam

    The first-year exam consists of two requirements: attendance and passing. Both requirements must be fulfilled before the student can be allowed to continue the study programme.

    Attendance: Before the end of the first study year at the bachelor of engineering programmes and the bachelor programmes the student must attend, i.e. get an assessment, all exams.

    Passing: The student must pass all exams at the first and second semester before the end of the second study year after study start.

    The study board may grant a dispensation in case of extraordinary circumstances.

  • +

    Credit transfer

    A credit transfer means that you can replace an activity in your study programme with another activity.

    A credit transfer is granted when the approved activity has been passed.

    A pre-approved credit transfer is granted before the activity is passed. Hence, the study board guarantees that you will get a credit transfer when the pre-approved activity has been passed. 

    GET Application for Credit Transfer


    Pre-approval of credit transfer for autumn semester: April 1

    Pre-approval of credit transfer for spring semester: October 1

    Credit transfer: should be applied for and approved by the study board before semester start or as soon as possible. It can take up to a month for the study board to process the application.

    Credit transfer when you have been abroad for a semester: as soon as possible after you have received your transcript of grades and preferably before February 1/August 1.

  • +

    Thesis contract

    Please fill in the form below, before you start on your master’s thesis. The form must be signed by you and your supervisor before sending it to the study board for approval.

    The contract must be submitted for approval within one month of project start, i.e. usually 1 October or 1 March.

    If you are two or more students in a group, names, study numbers and email addresses of all group members are listed in the form. When pressing ‘Send’, all group members receive the form at his/her student email. Each group member has to forward the form from his/her student email to the study board secretary to make a correct registration.

    Application for Thesis Contract

    Please contact the Study Board if you any have questions regarding non-disclosure agreements. Or please visit AAU Match where you will find NDA contracts ready for use.

  • +

    Project-oriented study in external organisation

    The project-oriented study in an external organization (voluntary traineeship) normally takes place on the 3rd Semester of the Master’s program. Below you will find guidelines as well as a template for signing up an agreement.

    Please note the that university’s standard agreements on non-disclosure and rights are to be found on AAU Match. If such an agreement is used, it must be signed before the company stay begins.

    To find out more about the benefits and expectations of a project-based internship, and get helpful advice on planning, please see the brochure